View Single Post
Old 05-29-14, 07:52 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
I disagree with the beer league softball sentiment. on the grand scale of sport, what we do isn't on the radar, but the commitment it takes to just suck at this sport is way beyond that of beer league softball. but that's another topic.
Seems like the beer league comment touched a nerve with a few people. I will explain further. I pour my heart and soul and resources into my training and racing. In man my ways, I (and many others) "live like a pro." I know this is true for so many in the out, regardless of level.

I believe the the sport and what it resents is very important (esp for what it teaches us beyond the bike).

That said, I still think the best analogy for most of our racing is beer league softball....we just take it far more seriously.

And i I totally agree that 99.9% of the world has no idea how much work it takes just to be incredibly mediocre in the sport....e.g. Twin a cat 3 race. I think winning that race can be very important and the work can absolutely be worth it, but other than to a handful of people the vast majority of our races do not matter. In at regard it is the same as beer league softball....very important to the participants at the time, but soon forgotten by most....except they don't train as hard.

As phil gaimpn says, the spectators for most racing in the US (-save just a very few races) is. Pair of trash cans.

again, I'm a part of all of this and it is important to me, and the beer league analogy is not perfect (none ever is)....but I say is to have a little perspective and a sense of humor about it.

Didnt mean to offend.

If state championships aren't worth drug testing, then I don't see how national championships are. Similarly, if state champs are worth testing, then I think the local rr is equally deserving. Everyone might draw the line in a different spot. I don't sweat a few $ to contribute to the effort given everything else that gets poured into the amateur sport.