Old 06-01-14, 02:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
A few points- Mavic went through a time when their rim splicer (the internal plug that keeps the seam aligned wheels joining) came loose. The rim would click/clack ones a revolution. People tried pouring glue/linseed oil to trap the plug and even screws to hold the plug still, all with varying success. I would never suggest a wheel with proprietary spokes or less the 36 spokes for any real touring. Repair options get very limiting quickly and the effect of a broken spoke worsens with the fewer you start with. If the OP wants to keep the Askium for a number of years then he should get replacement spokes NOW. I've heard that Mavic won't supple replacement parts for wheels past a certain age (3 years?). Why do you think the wheel was on a close out? I agree with the freehub inboard bushing needing periodic clean and lube. My experience is that the more rain you ride in the more likely this will be an issue. But it's a quick job with mineral oil as the lube. Overall i like the Mavis rims but not so much their wheels. Andy.