View Single Post
Old 06-01-14, 03:35 PM
Caribou007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any old-school (2006) fitters here?

On my 2006 CAAD8 R800 39/52 bicycle, I've decided to use these fit guidelines as a starting point. I'm going with all of the lesser numbers on that chart, the left-side column. They have proven to be quite accurate so far.

Handlebar: 2006 Cannondale Fire, 31.8 mm, 42 cm, (15cm drop)
Dual-Control Levers: 2006 Shimano STI 105

The handlebars are anatomic with the ramps are angled downwards. As a starting point, I looked at how Cannondale had them configured in their marketing photos. These are all supposedly 2006 CAAD8 frames with the same Cannondale Fire 31.8mm handlebars but with different dual-control levers, depending on the price point:

And here are two photos of professional racer's bicycles with anatomic drop bars, I believe at least the first photo is from 2006:

This is from 1997:

My concern is with the relatively steep ramp angle on the Cannondale Fires. Because of the downward angle of the ramps, the bar-shifter transition will not be perfectly horizontal. I need information on the correct configuration for this type of equipment. Specifically, the correct horizontal angle for the dual-control levers. As for the handlebars, all of the photos appear to have the bar ends pointed at the rear brakes or just slightly below so that's what I'll be doing.