View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 07:21 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Tour De Volcanos with me

I got the ok from my wife to take the weekend off for riding and camping. I left after work on Friday and drove down to Oregon to ride the fabled McKenzie Pass before it opens for car traffic in another week or so. This one had been on my bucket list for a while.

I was up early on Saturday and started my ride from the town of Sisters. Heading out, you can see some of the mountains I will be riding by later in the day…

Warm sun, the smell of lodgepole pine and wind whistling in your ears makes for a fine morning.

I passed a few other cyclists on the way up out of the forest and into the Lava fields.

I ride by McKenzie Pass. No one here (yet).

And drop down into Western Oregon. The road was amazing, nearly new asphalt, sweeping turns and switchbacks.

I reached the gate closure on the West entrance and turned around and climbed back up, soon the thick stands of Douglas Fir and Hemlock were replaced by the moonlike Lava fields.

I stopped at the top of McKenzie Pass this time.

And snacked while watching the hoards of cyclists arriving from Sisters. Glad I came up early.

I descended back to Sisters and had lunch. It was still early and I had more energy to burn so I drove down 97 and parked off the highway near LaPine and climbed up the Newberry CALDERA* to Paulina Lake.

I bought some ice cream from the wonderful store at the lakeside there. Cool little place with a little bit of everything.

That was it for climbing. The legs were tired. I descend back to the car and drive back to camp.

Last edited by northbend; 06-03-14 at 09:54 PM. Reason: * I suck at editing my posts