View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 07:22 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
After a great day of riding the sky put on a show for me before I went to sleep.

I woke up early on Sunday, packed the car and began the drive home. Stopping at Trillium Lake near Government Camp for a ride up to Timberline Lodge.

I was reliving a very fun part of my past as I climbed, thinking about the many days summer skiing and camping here back in the early 80's.

Timberline Lodge was built during the Depression. Nearly everything hand crafted on site. Stone cutters, blacksmiths carpenters and artisans put to work as a part of the "New Deal". A really amazing place.

Some cool vintage iron in the employee parking lot.

After a very fast descent I am back in the car, heading north again. I stop one more time at Mt. Rainier to check up on my next car-free ride: Sunrise road. I ride through the park up to the gated entrance where the sign looks promising enough. Road open for recreation to hikers and bicyclists. It's still a little rough in places

The joyride ends about 4 miles from the top.

But it's ok, I am sure to be back with some friends in another week or two. I take one last photo of my bike next to the snow just because the light was so good then carefully picked my way down to the car for the drive home.

So there it is, a tour of the Volcanos of Oregon and Washington.

Last edited by northbend; 06-02-14 at 05:38 PM. Reason: duplicate of sunset fixed with trillium lake