Old 06-02-14, 02:12 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
In my experience, at least for me,it takes more commitment to be a mediocre bike racer, than it does to be mediocre in other endeavors.

I can participate, and be moderately competitive,at least at a low level, on not much effort in golf, tennis, basketball for example.

To even be at a level to be in the game, bike racing takes a much greater commitment for me.

At an elite level, most any sport takes tremendous effort and commitment.

But for bike racing, it seems to me the anty to just get in the game is higher than most others.
But, are you just out playing golf or are you competing in a tournament? I've done both (bike race and tournament golf) and both are equally demanding in my experience. Prior to cycling, I'd be at the range for 3-5 hours a week on top of the 3-6 hours of rounds on the weekends. I'd liken going out to play golf and being moderately competitive to going out on a local fun group ride. You can hang in both, but it's not quite the same as a race or a tournament.

With that, I'd say the fanaticism is equal across all hobbies, sports, etc. If people have the $ and the time, they will obsess.