View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 04:13 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stephtu
I think 40km is perfectly fine. The body has ~2000 calories in glycogen stored up to use, along with practically unlimited fat stores. He's not doing consecutive days without food. I agree that hard rides two days in a row combined with 2 consecutive days of fasting would become problematic, but that's not what he's doing. Fatigue shouldn't be an issue, and after awhile on the program, the hunger gets much more manageable. A lot of people have forgotten what real hunger feels like, a little bit peckish and reach for a snack, hence the obesity problem spreading worldwide. Force yourself on an intermittent fasting regime, try reaching for a glass of water instead, often you find the hunger diminishes or goes away for awhile, doesn't really get worse, and you make it to bed and eat normally the next day and feel perfectly fine.

I've been doing a more relaxed regime than he has, restricting only down to 600 calories twice a week.
This being said I have occasionally done two days in a row and it is a bit more rough. I have been doing this for almost two years so it is second nature. When I stop it is a matter of really watching what I eat or else I will over eat. Alternate day fasting is easier than calorie monitoring. Plus there are documented longevity studies, check the google scholar link I posted earlier.

I used to do 72 hours fasts in my undergrad days. Once or twice a year, not for weight loss but meditative almost. There were definite cycles of true hunger that would pass with time. I would still cook and shop during the 72 hours. I would drink water or tea but no food.

Last edited by joeyduck; 06-02-14 at 04:19 PM. Reason: grammar