View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 04:51 PM
txags92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Before spending money on something like an organized program, figure out for yourself where your problems are by tracking what you eat for a period of time. I use the Myfitnesspal app and track my food and exercise that way. Once you track your food for a few days or a week of eating normally, it will become apparent to you where you are consuming extra calories. Then when you go to the grocery store, start looking for alternatives to what you are currently eating that are lower in calories. You can salvage alot of calories just by swapping out better choices. Things like bread can range from 50 to 120 calories per slice. Making the change from a 120 calorie per slice bread to a 55 calorie per slice bread is about 650 calories per week if you eat one sandwich per day. That is close to a pound fewer calories per month for something as simple as changing what kind of bread you buy. You can do the same thing with a whole variety of foods and end up cutting way back on your calories without fundamentally changing how much or how often you eat. Then if you start substituting veggies for part of the meat content in other things you eat, and cut down slightly on portion sizes for what you eat, you gain even more. But it all starts with tracking what you are eating. That is free, and it will open your eyes to where the savings can happen.

In my case, I have found that trying to front load calories with a high protein breakfast, and then spreading the rest out over the day in small meals and snacks is a very easy way to avoid that gnawing hunger feeling. I probably eat more often now at work than I did before, and I am currently eating less than half the calories I used to. I have been eating with a goal of 1500 calories net per day (net meaning I subtract the amount burned in exercise) since late February, and I am down 48 pounds in a little over 3 months. I try to eat about a 300-350 calorie breakfast high in protein, a 300-350 calorie lunch, and 2-3x100-150 calorie snacks during the day, then another ~350 calories for dinner. If I am going to work out or ride, I may add an extra snack either late afternoon an hour or so beforehand, or as a recovery snack right after the workout to replenish glycogen if I am doing high intensity intervals.

One thing I found that has really helped me is to cook foods over the weekend and separate them out into individual meal sized portions. It is amazing what kind of food you can eat if you select ingredients carefully and parcel it out into proper sized portions. Doing it over the weekend allows me to just grab a tub of food from the fridge on my way out the door and not have to stop and prepare a proper lunch to eat at work, or worse head to a deli or fast food restaurant for lunch. We have been eating things like chicken enchiladas, black bean chili, avocado chicken wraps, etc. and they taste great and are less than 350 calories per serving, because we select good ingredients and avoid adding lots of junk to them. I was the type that thought I could never do it without an organized program, but I gave it an honest try, and have been absolutely amazed at how easy it has been to get where I am so far.