Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert P
So trying to do the right thing, as a potential solution for the ebay seller to get something out of it, when I went in to the LBS to get my 90-day tuneup I related the above story and asked if he'd like to buy it off me for whatever he pays his supplier and I'd send the ebay seller the money. It's a brand-new seat, tagged, still in the plastic shipping bag, identical to the ones the LBS sells in their shop. As it is, I have a free seat I have no use for, I was just trying to make the ebay seller whole.

He didn't have any interest in this transaction. He said that supposedly manuf's sell defective merchandise to online sellers and there's too much potential for problems. The ebay seller also has a brick and mortar store - all his items are available for local pickup as well. On close examination I see no obvious flaws in the seat - from what I can tell it's indistinguishable from the one I got from the LBS.

Whatever, it's his prerogative of course, but I noticed both he and his assistant seemed to cop an attitude. Apparently I mortally offended them by attempting to buy an item elsewhere. As I mentioned I was there for a tuneup. The last two were done in a few hours. This time it sat in the corner all day and didn't get touched other than to put a ticket tag on it. I picked it up again near closing since it's going to be a week before I can get back there and didn't want to be without a bike for a week. I doubt I'm going to take it back at all, or patronize the shop again. I'm sure I can do my own bike tweaks and this isn't the only bike shop in the area.

I sense I'm now on their f-you list. The assistant said he "despises it" when people buy online rather than support a local business - the fact that the online vendor is himself a mom and pop shop notwithstanding. The above purchases apparently don't count for anything in their mind if I don't feel compelled to pay 30% more for everything and they also don't consider word of mouth that's now not going to happen. Keep in mind this shop's return policy is they don't take returns. That pricey gel seat I said you should get isn't cutting it? Oh well.

Thoughts?
1. I'm not surprised the LBS did not buy the seat from you. I would have been surprised if they had. How do they know that the saddle didn't "fall off the back of a truck".

2. Never tell an LBS that you're shopping elsewhere, whether that it at another LBS or online.

3. If an LBS won't let you try a saddle for at least a week before you're committed to it, find another LBS.

4. Pay the ebay seller.

Last edited by Machka; 06-05-14 at 10:00 PM.