Old 06-09-14, 06:41 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. For right now I have my riding figured out well enough. In terms of mileage and what I can do without over-do'ing it - the only thing that is holding me back is time now. I have done 110 miles in a week with no trouble. One of those rides was 62 miles. If I planned right I bet I could do a century in a day. Then it all comes back to time and not always having it.

Back on the "training/nutrition" side of the topic - before I ride I eat a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. Usually I'll come home from work and eat, change clothes, get my water bottles filled up (I have been using some electrolyte powder packets and gatorade powder recently with good results), then hit the bike. That way I am not eating and immediately hitting the bike - I give myself about 20-30 minutes to digest a bit.

This method has held me out to an hour and a half ride OK, even 2 hours, but if I know I am going to be out that long I like to eat a little bit in between just to preserve my energy towards the end so I don't deplete myself too much then eat. My day trips start out the same way, though I generally have the water bottles ready to go the day before. I have a snack at about the 1.5-2hr mark, lunch in between, and another snack half way through the second half. My day trips so far have been out/back on the same route - I am trying to get further and further out on a long distance trail here so that is about the only way to do it without hitting roads and weaving my way home.

Mileage for the season now is 667. The past few weeks I have dropped off - I didn't quite hit 50 miles last week.