View Single Post
Old 06-09-14, 10:23 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Rwt, if you are not having fun racing crits then you should reconsider doing them. As far as danger is concerned road racing descents are much more risky than any crit I've done. The thing about crits is that course hazards are repeated hazards and unless you are in the break you are racing shoulder to shoulder for the duration. So riders that are not strong bike handlers raise the risk level. Road races are much more forgiving in this respect. As for attitudes, that's across the sport and varies with the aggressiveness of the event. You will also find that the higher up the ladder you go, the more mature and forgiving riders are. Nothing against you rwt but it's pretty easy to point out the Cat4's in my field. We've got a few real doozies out here.

The track is dangerous in its own right, especially in the sprint events that interest you. You want to talk about aggressive. When I race against trackies in crits I give them a little extra room and get by them ASAP. They will chop your wheel without a second thought.
Thanks Shovel.

I think you're right; it's as simple as if it's not enjoyable, then don't do it. However I struggle as to whether I enjoy it or not; sometimes I do and look forward to it for days in advance, and sometimes they just stress me out! Also, some of the things I have done "just for training" have turned out to be really fun, eg some of the hilly RR's where I knew I wouldn't be competitive. Also, success (in a race, in increasing fitness) is enjoyable in its own right, and that's not an insignificant driver.