cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by katsrevenge
Plus I have the Mary Poppins effect going on most of the time, LOL.
I don't get it. You fly over? No, seriously, I don't get it.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Parking on left is safer for everybody because is reduces the frequency of doors opened into the street side. All cars have drivers, but most don't have passengers.

There's some thinking that drivers are smarter about opening doors into traffic then passengers, but IME there are more dumb drivers than there are total passengers, so parking on left makes sense to me.
Good points, although when I'm driving a car on a narrow street, especially a one-way street, I prefer parking to be on the right. I feel I can see around the parked cars better from my left side seat, because I'm not too close to them, and I can drift towards the left to give parked cars and bikes plenty of room, while still seeing everything to my left as the view isn't blocked. As a cyclist I could go either way. if the parking is on the right and some car is passing you, you still have to avoid the door zone. If it is on the left, overtaking cars might crowd you as they will feel nervous driving so close to left side cars, while sitting on the left and not having a good view around the front of the cars.

Last edited by cooker; 06-09-14 at 09:43 PM.