View Single Post
Old 06-11-14, 04:02 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
You're clutching at straws. The Spanish economy contracted for the first time in fifteen years in the third quarter of 2008 and didn't officially enter into recession until February 2009. The bike lanes were finished in 2006 and most of the phenomenal growth in modal share took place well before the economy retracted.
Why do you use such confrontational language? I asked you a question about Seville specifically. Every country is still going through the after-effects of the GFC. The US, Australia, Great Britain... but Spain, Portugal and Greece are portrayed as the economic basket-cases of Europe right now.

You don't want to see that there are practical barriers to the changes you want to impose on the rest of the world and then turn abusive with confrontational language when you don't get what you want. Frankly, I've come across one or two of that type of advocate, and their opinions become devalued every time they put fingers to keyboards or open their mouths.

What has been explained in this thread is that the political will depends on the people who elect members of government at federal, state and local levels. Right now in places such as North America and Australia and Britain, those people see other priorities that need addressing. If you cannot answer the questions raised by that, then your campaign to have separated/segregated/protected bike lanes won't achieve much.

I will ask you, as I have asked Roody: Do you participate in any worthwhile, direct meetings with decision-makers on what you think should be developed in your community, as regards cycling facilities? Things such as bicycle advisory committees attached to local councils? Submissions to government on road developments?

This is not a competition. It's a discussion between people who mostly have displayed a mature approach to the subject as it affects them

I thought we might have turned a corner with you. Evidently not.

By the way, Machka and I have been to Amsterdam and actually experienced their cycling infrastructure. As we have in Paris, wider France, Germany and Britain. Have you?