View Single Post
Old 06-11-14, 09:26 AM
wapiti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Amen! I love driving everywhere, grew up in a garage working on cars. Put on hundreds of thousands of miles by the time I was 25 in the car and on the motorcycle. Went to SFU for my M.Sc. Live one bus stop away. Started work in Richmond, two moths later started cycling. I have not looked back. I now live closer to work and I have not driven (to work) since April, only to Costco or the big weekly shop at Superstore. My wife does much more driving (to the aquarium with our son) and she now understands the frustration I felt and vented for years here. Bad light timing, bad drivers, bad parkers, bad design, poor construction planning.

I remember my first time riding my motorcycle through Vancouver, the closest I ever came to being t-boned. Turning left, at a stop light. Light goes green and starts flashing. I think, yeah I can turn left, like Montreal. Ohh how wrong I was as three oncoming lanes start gunning for position like an F1 start as I start turning across them. I learned all about cleaning my skivvies and pedestrian controlled lights that day.

But now we rarely drive during the week and we are much happier.
When I first went to Vancouver I could drive from UBC to the foot of Cypress in about 12 minutes.

Richmond to the North Shore was maybe 20 minutes if you hit some red lights.

It was heaven. The riding was great. now ........................