Old 06-12-14, 12:51 AM
Cori77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
expensive mistake in frame size; need advice

I just bought the most expensive bike I've ever owned, probably "more bike than I need" it's a Trek X-Caliber 6. Unfortunately it seems I selected the wrong frame size.

I am 60.5 inches and mostly short in the torso. Inseam seems to be 29-30"; (I just made a crude measurement with a ruler). I previously had a Trek 820 in a 16" frame size; it was fine. The X-Caliber is a 29"-er and when I test rode a 15.5 inch I said "it feels really big." I think it's just that I wasn't used to the feeling of 29" wheels. The sales guy said I probably needed a 14.5 frame and they could order it (they didn't have any in the store). For some reason, this sounded like a good idea at the time, even though in hindsight it seems REALLY stupid to order a bike I hadn't been able to test-ride (I had to pay upfront).

The bike got here today and initially seemed fine. Then after I rode it for about a mile, I noticed I couldn't get enough distance between the handlebars and the seat. I felt cramped up. I rode it for about 8-10 miles and still couldn't get comfortable. I took a hex key and slid the seat is back as far as it will go but that didn't do much. I tried raising the seat but it didn't help. Is there anything I can do? I'm pretty sure the guys at the bike store going to recommend a longer stem, does this really help? Is there any chance I'll "get used to it" (I really don't think so but...)?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Cori