Old 06-12-14, 08:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by Granturismonut
This is my second summer commuting to work (18 miles each way) right now I'm a fair weather only commuter (forecast better be clear or days lol) I think it's time to take the next step and consider riding even if it's less than perfect. I have full use of locker room , showers at my work one I get there. Any hints or insight is appreciated.
A rack and gloves come in handy. I'd suggest that you leave as much stuff at work as you can...toiletries, towel, spare shoes, etc...so that you don't have to schlepp that stuff back and forth. I even leave a rain jacket at work for those days when I get caught by a thunderstorm in the afternoon. (I actually have 3 jackets at work. I lone 2 out if someone needs one.)

I'm not a fan of fenders. I use them during the winter and early spring but I get them off as soon as possible in the spring. Summer rain in my area is short and intense but evaporates quickly. I don't know where you live so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to mess with fenders but it sounds like you may live in a drier climate and may not need to carry them around all the time..

Now things change when you get to winter but you can wait until later to worry about that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!