View Single Post
Old 06-14-14, 08:58 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I would die the first time I ran over a dime somebody dropped on the ground! And I'm not quite ready for a smartphone, let alone a skateboard that can read my mind...
I think much depends on the type of wheels and the length of the board... just as various wheel and frame parameters apply to biking.

I have a fair degree of respect for people who use skateboards as transport. The quiet wheels theese days enable them to travel almost in stealth mode. The boards can be picked up and taken aboard buses without challenge. Maintenance is pretty cheap, and parts are available in just about every sports store I have been into.

They also can go where bikes cannot... although there are laws for what are called "small wheel devices" controlling their access to certain areas and on the road. Lighting can use of dark clothing can be issues, however.

I agree with Dahon.Steve... being car free is not dependent on bicycling riding. Walking, skateboarding, in-line skating, and scooters certainly seem to be viable options used by many people.