martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
How much water IS dangerous?

ive applied enough proofide so that the saddle doesn't absorb any more. But I'm looking to ride to the pool, swim some laps, and then ride back. Without ruining the saddle. Doable?
For some time, had a B-17 on my country bike, it is 5 km to one fishing spot and about 8 to another, suspend my halved fly rod from the top tube, wear J&G touring shorts and sneakers. Cycle to one of these spots 2-3 times per week, wade waist deep into the water; when done fishing, ride back home and hang it in the shed to dry, saddle is fine. Apply proof hide about twice per year. My other leather saddles (SA & GB) have also gotten wet at fairly regular intervals, all are ok. When parked and going to rain, I do cover them with a bag- would do the same if saddles were synthetic. Last week, rode the GB saddle on three rainy days - it got wet each day, probably going to ride it later today- saddle feels a little damp yet, looks fine. The GB is an Aravis model, my impression is that it might be more sensitive to "wetness", than the Brooks or SA saddles. Third season with this saddle, going fine & no problems.