View Single Post
Old 06-16-14, 11:23 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So I finally made an attachment to my son's trailer that will allow me to haul groceries or other items!

I wanted it to be easily removable as my son still rides in the trailer sometimes. So with the top cover fabric removed and the frame folded down, I added a piece of 1/2" plywood (doesn't add much weight), which I attach with a couple of hitch pins with cotter pins to the side rails. Then the plastic container is attached with carriage bolts through the plywood, a nut and washer on top of the plywood, then the container, then another washer and wing nut inside the container. I remove the entire plastic box + plywood together as a unit, with no tools needed. I went for the yellow-top box as I figured it would be more visible AND matches the bike! I'd like to put a slow-moving vehicle triangle on the back, but the ones Lowe's carriers are freakin' $20 for a piece of sheet steel with reflective tape on it! No thank you.

My son also loves riding around the neighborhood in the box as well. I don't take him out of the neighborhood in the box, though.

I made a WalMart run last weekend and it worked great, only bad thing was finding a darn place to lock up outside the store.

If I ever need to carry larger items with the trailer like a flat bed, I can remove the plastic box easily with the wing nuts, again no tools required.