View Single Post
Old 06-17-14, 09:07 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
July 2014 Annual One Helluva Ride Thread

Hi, all!

This year the 38th One Helluva Ride will be held as before near Ann Arbor, Michigan. The available ride information can be found on the site of the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society (Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society - One Helluva Ride!). This page has registration information, dates, times, start points, maps to same, and a lot of other good info.

It does not have route maps. Usually these are not finalized until just before the ride, and the AABTS wants to prevent cowboy riders (who do not pay). But if you have ridden a few of these as I and some others, like BlazingPedals and Irwin have, you know the new route will borrow a lot from the earlier rides. Maps for some of the earlier rides can be found on Map My Ride.

This is one of the best-organized group tours in Michigan, in my opinion, certainly in the Southeast area. The price is reasonable, SAGging is very efficient and covers the whole route, the start/finish is well-equipped, the main food stop is superb and even worth hanging at, and the food is reasonable (compared to abysmal at some). The AABTS has been setting this up for now 38 years, and the practice shows. A rider can feel safe and free to have fun, though not to randomly gambol around on the road. But we don't do that, do we?

For the Third Annual we met in Chelsea, Mi at a town pub for a burger and beer. Next day we met for breakfast, then took a ride on Huron River Drive out to Dexter, Mi and back, about 20 miles. I don't recall what we did Friday night. Some met early Saturday to start the ride together, but Mrs Road Fan and I went by ourselves on a shorter route. Saturday evening we all met for ice cream at Washtenaw Dairy, a well-known ice cream shop in Ann Arbor. Then we parted ways.

If anyone is interested in a Huron River Drive on Friday, I'd be glad to take a ride and have my friends accompany me. I know the way, and where the food is!

Let's use this thread as a sign-up and information center. Just to be clear, I am not signing anyone up for OHR. You can all do that yourselves, on the day of event if not sooner.

I like to be able to coordinate, so when the time gets closer, let the participants exchange mobile numbers. If we're all to meet for a drink, sandwich, ride, or ice cream cone, it'll be good to know who's in or not.

We have a hope of some distinguished 50+ participants, namely Yen and Mr. Yen. In addition, the illustrious and powerful BlazingPedals, the Unstoppable Irwin, Mountain King Freedomrider with spouse, Steady Swift Steve Sawyer, Queen of the Climbers Mrs. Road Fan, and my favorite Laterne Rouge, me. Oh, and Century JimfromBoston, possibly.

It'll be fun (I hope it's not too hot, but I also hope it don't rain!)!

I hope you'll join me on my roads!

Road Fan