cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I asked a long time ago if anybody has knowledge of cyclists being made to ride on bike lanes even when there was no bike lane on that street. Nobody has responded, so I'm thinking that this has never happened. I'm starting to think it's something that "could" happen, but never has happened, and likely never will happen.
Not specifically this issue, but similar: In the late 1960s or early 1970s in Toronto there was an attempt to force cyclist off some of the major downtown streets. At that time there were two levels of municipal government, City and Metro, and Metro controlled main through streets like Yonge (our central North/South commercial street, and the original 19th century highway out of town heading north). The Metro government proposed banning cyclists on Metro streets. I'll have to dig up the story and figure out how that was shot down.

Certainly it's a favorite meme of Forester, and perhaps part of his experience, that bike facilities posed a threat to cyclists' universal access to streets.