Old 06-20-14, 05:01 AM
blacksapphire08

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Electra Cruiser Custom 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I would say it's much more to do with the rider than with the bike - closer to 70/30 or even 80/20. I push hard on my commute. When I ride my hybrid, the typical average speed is about 13 MPH. On my carbon road bike, it's more like 14.5 MPH. That's it.

I personally don't think "not getting passed" is a positive motivation to upgrade a bike. If you get a high-end road bike, sure you may not get passed as often, but you don't really count that. You will still get passed, and that's what sticks in your mind. You will feel like the new road bike is still not good enough.
It does depend on the bike, some hybrids are closer to a road bike than others. Personally I went from an average 10mph on my cruiser to 15mph on my hybrid along the same path.

Regardless my advice to the OP is to do nothing to the bike as long as they enjoy riding it. If they feel like they've hit the full potential of the bike and want more then an upgrade or new bike might be a good idea. The cost of upgrading could be as much as a new bike though so keep that in mind.