Old 06-21-14, 10:58 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I used to hate tomatoes. But I later realized it was because most were tasteless. And fresh ones are yummy.

I noticed navels can be hit and miss. And we probably keep the best ones to ourselves. The ones I get in the farmers market or from my CSA are so yummy. The ones at the grocery store are like 50/50.

We have a zillion farmers markets. I've got 5 year round ones in a 3 miles radius. Only some chain super markets stock local produce, but we have good indie grocery stores that stock tons. When I travel I always miss our tasty produce. And end up thinking....where are the veggie!

Sounds like your garden is yummy!
Yeah you are lucky produce wise.
In the 1950's-1970's we had a local produce market in the Quarter-and plenty of other places
And we had " farmers" who would literally park their truck-pickup or bigger truck- on the side of the street and sell their local produce.
Now we still have a market in the quarter-but much of it isn't local produce-and it isn't convenient for most folks.

Yeah my tomatoes-good crop this year-
I planted some lima beans-waaaay too late-so they won't produce-but at least the "land" is cleared-and I'm getting the "feel" for them
My navel orange tree-maybe I'll get 40 oranges-I planted it with no thought 15 years down the road