Old 06-22-14, 10:33 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 1,064 Posts
Miyata 1000 LT Full Touring Bike
[h=2]Miyata 1000 LT Full Touring Bike - $550 (N. Reading)[/h]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

Rte 28 (Main St)
(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: excellent size / dimensions: 57cm

You are buying a gently used in excellent condition Legendary 1989 Miyata 1000 LT Cr-Mo Touring bike. Pretty much all original with a few upgrades or small changes listed below. Many considered this to be the best production Touring bike of it's day and the 1989 Model being one of their finest year! This touring champion has been gently used (I think just used on 4 trips...Michigan, Nova Scotia & PEI, Upstate New York and New England) and it's just been tuned up (plus new brake & shifting cables installed) and ready to take on the world!!!

Miyata 1000 LT Model
1989 Edition, Serial # RW----
Spline Triple Butted Cro-Moly lugged frame & fork
Made in Japan
57cm Seat Tube
56.5cm Top Tube
32 1/4" Standover (with different tires it's probably right at 32")
Mainly Shimano Deore components (Triple 170 mm Crankset 50 x 42 x 28T Biopace Chainrings)
Ukai 700C Rims on Deore Hubs, this year they went back to 36 spoke front & rear (before they used 40 spoke rear) as these wide Ukai rims are so strong the extra spokes weren't needed!
CST Ciudad Kevlar 700 x 32mm tires with reflective stripe, normally I ran Continental 28mm Gatorskins but this set of Ciudads was recommended for the rough roads of New England and performed marvelously comparable to the expensive Gatorskins!
7 speed cassette
Cantilever brakes
Randonneur handlebars
Beige or Champagne color??? Not quite sure as I'm a bit color blind

Here are some changes / upgrades that have been made;

Shimano Barend Indexed shifters (I think they are Dura Ace?)
Nitto Technomic long stem
Longer Kalloy seatpost (approx. 70mm longer then original Sugino), I still have the original shorter Sugino seatpost as my taller son used it on the New England trip and purchased the longer seatpost. If buyer rather have original shorter seatpost please specify
Newish Black color cork bar tape
New generic pedals with Toe Clips (sorry I'm keeping the SPD for my other bike)

Issues;

Small ding on non drive side of top tube (left side, see photo #15 ) about 3/8" long (does not affect strength or performance)....this was caused by the bars swinging around and the barend shifter banged into the bar which was on the first day after installing the long Technomic stem (before with the shorter stem the barends went under the top tube), since this happened I always use the top tube protector (which I will include, photos 14 & 16) which not only protects the tubing but adds comfort for the male rider!
Shimano 600 Aero brake levers; left side is a bit scratched up, right side a thin piece of trim fell of (both levers function quite well). I thought about replacing them but figured the new owner may want to upgrade to a set of non aero levers anyway
Very light mounting marks where my son installed a kickstand (only very light mounting marks nearly invisible, no crimping...see last photo)
Small rubbing on lower Head lug of down tube from frame bag (see photo #11 )

This vintage beauty rides like a Cadillac and is a better alternative to those Made in China TIG welded expensive bikes (sorry Surly!). Please serious interest only, prefer phone calls. Happy and Safe Cycling!!!
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers