View Single Post
Old 06-24-14, 09:12 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fishergreen
Thanks for the info about used forks, I really didn't know if it was okay to buy them used or not. If anyone gets any leads on a good fork deal, please let me know. For now, I think I'm going to upgrade the saddle, rear derrailler, and pedals. Any advice on a good saddle and pedals (platform) under $30. Also, why do some pedals have only 1 side with grip? That makes no sense to me at all!
IMHO, the best flat pedals are made of alloy and steel with grip teeth on both sides, not sure what brands are out there, but a good bike shop will have these, especially one that caters to mountain bikers. I bought my last set when I was at Pisgah at a bike shop out there. Why some pedals have only one side with grip is for one reason. These pedals were originally designed for use with straps. The grip side was supposed to have straps attached that you put your foot into. They're great for suicide mountain biking, especially if you make them too tight and your foot is caught when you try to pull out. I've not seen straps on a serious mountain bike in at least 8 years. But some folks still use them. Also, some pedals sold today have flat grip on one side and a Shimano SPD pedal on the other. I use a set on my hardtail. I don't think you're referring to those.
As for saddles, that's very personal. It can be very expensive finding the manufacturer and design that you are comfortable with. Price does NOT guarentee satisfaction. Although I have some higher priced Specialized saddles, my favorite remains the model that came stock with their low and mid range MTBs around 2005 to 2010. I know roadies who have saddles costing over $100 each, but ride a relatively inexpensive $50 saddle because, it fits them best. Ride what works for you.