View Single Post
Old 06-28-14, 07:00 AM
Moyene Corniche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I think these are fine ideas, but I don't see this happening without a major effort from USAC. From this thread alone, it is clear that the implimentation of Cat 5 is quite variable across the country with many (maybe most??) race coordinators being content to let Cat 5's be an early morning nuissance and nothing more. Also, with the lack of existing organization and race entry requirements, I think it would be a difficult sell to get the triathletes or first time racers to buy into the notion that while they're strong enough to ride away from the field that they shouldn't as that isn't the point of Cat 5. I could see the triathletes or new racers confused or frustrated by the notion that they're effectively paying for a group ride. Perhaps there could be additional incentive like having a couple of "mentors" ride with the pack and effectively grading the performance (rather safety) of each rider during the race and requiring the racers to have some number (5??) of mentor approvals before moving up to Cat 4.

Lastly, regarding the notion that clubs should be more in control, do you mean local race associations (e.g., Northern California and Nevada Cycling Association [NCNCA]) or actual clubs like Bob's Club and Race Team? I could see some conflict if it was left in the hands of the club/race teams as each team may have different approaches to racing and while we're all adults, I don't foresee people always getting on the same page.

As a former promoter I can only speak for myself. I never regarded Cat 5 as a nuisance. It was however always an intangible. Since there was no requirement to preregister, it was an unknown wether we would have enough entrants to run a race. I had the minimum at 5 entries, mainly because I believed then and now that holding the race was critical to those few riders to go away from the event thinking " Yep, we mattered "
They are in a race that should be designed for safety, yet still be competitive. To a rider it sounds simple, from a promoters viewpoint this can become a nightmare. The field comprises an extreme in skill level from the new rider in their 1st ever race to the more experienced club rider.
But the constant is that all are inexperienced where racing in a pack ( peloton ) is concerned.
Having mentors ( chaperones ) riding with the pack isn't realistic. Since now it is a controlled race, which will result in riders opting out. I understand they all want to race so being in a format that says " It's a race but we are going to control the pace and tactics doesn't work.
It's much more effective to limit the field, distance and difficulty of the race rather than control from within.

This is where the clubs need to network towards the same agenda. A local race association sets the guidelines according to the regional aspects. USAC sets the guidelines on the national level and UCI on the international level. It should all filter down to the local level, thru the various channels. This is where the clubs should come in.
It's not realistic to expect that USAC is going to implement additional programs for Cat 5.
Clubs have to be responsible for nurturing new riders and bringing them up to speed. this used to be the norm rather than the exception. There really is no point to be on a cycling team club that has no purpose other than a bunch of similar jerseys riding around. That is not a club, it's a group of lemmings.
It starts at the local level, we used to discuss these concerns at the officials/rep/promoters meetings.
In addition with the accessibility of instant information concerning training there is no reason why a well organized club cannot implement a system that complies with the rules and brings up new riders.
Call it developmental or whatever, but wether it is comprised of adults or juniors it is still the same thing.
In the long term, we gain riders who persevere and stay in the sport, the one's that are too impatient and think they don't need to rise thru the ranks then there's not much to be done with them other than to say " Go find another form of instant gratification "

i'm dismayed to see that some Cat 5's see themselves as ready to race at the upper levels. And get upset at being told that No there is still much to learn.
As posted earlier an unofficial training race where Cat 5's are mixed in with 3's, 2's and Pro's and the 5 rides away is misleading and illustrative as to how much more education is needed. Many of those higher categories would use the race as training, not going out to push. Racing well is about a systematic training plan. It's not about a hammerfest each time you hop on the bike. It's often we'll use a race as training, only going up to a predetermined certain level of intensity. I really don't know what else to add.

Last edited by Moyene Corniche; 06-28-14 at 09:15 AM.