View Single Post
Old 06-28-14, 07:01 PM
Moyene Corniche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
That's all well and good but it's not working.
Fine, then what would you suggest ?
I'm looking at it from a perspective of racing here stateside and in France at the club level, having been a promoter as well as coached Juniors.
Also having ski raced and coached in that discipline, Juniors, College and adult team. Of the three, the adults were the most problematical.
Difficult to bring a horse to water.... is the old adage. It really isn't any different in cycling.

Very few riders make it to race on a national team at the Cat I level, let alone be good enough to go and grovel with the Pro's in Europe and make it back in One piece. That's the reality, but what I keep seeing and hearing here from the lower categories is an awful lot of bellyaching about how the system doesn't work, but very little about getting involved and in a small part working to change it for the better.
Cycling in this country will remain a niche sport, simply on the fact that as long as the US is predominantly a car culture this won't change. This and the fact of travel distances making it difficult for any serious alternative transportation.
That is a constant and is a variable that complicates promoters work in setting up races.

This is why clubs need to work together rather than treat everything as competition or a threat.
When faced with a common foe, separate fiefdoms are extinguished individually, however if there is alliances than progress can be achieved. Which is not to say that there cannot be competition, the cycling clubs or tennis clubs or ski clubs In France have an intense rivalry, but they also in conjunction work to get the things done that the governing body cannot. When that happens then you see newbs who are eager to go thru the learning process, since it's been explained to them just what the reality is. It breeds a more cohesive cycling community, where there isn't this superiority complex overshadowing the lower Cat's.
If this sounds like something that peaks an interest, then ask questions and find out why or what can you do to improve the status quo.
That is how a sport is built up. By the participants, not an outside governing body who is basically an extremely slow moving bureaucracy.
As a former promoter, it often wasn't fun dealing with USAC/USCF and the restrictive regs. On the other hand most of the officials I ever dealt with were incredibly hardworking and always willing to allow for a bit of leeway.

Riders or Cat 5's should also be more flexible and less apt to pre-judge the situations without all the facts. I totally empathize with the frustration but it is still about learning to race and it doesn't get any easier in the 4's, 3's, 2's and 1's. Just respect is gained from staying with it.
??