View Single Post
Old 06-28-14, 09:27 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Second Longsjo crit, Worcester. Lap one, turn one, I go to upshift and my shifter is jammed. WTF. Half a lap of frantic jiggling and a chunk of plastic falls out, the lever unjams and I'm back in business, more or less. That pretty much set the tone. I saw the winning break go, thought "I need to be up there," tried to bridge but had left it too late and failed. Just sat in for the rest of the race, didn't have the legs to do anything more than that. Came in for a pack finish. Basically I know what I need to do but can't do it.

Checked out the shifter after the race (this is Ultegra 6700, by the way). Near as I can make out, one of the little plastic guides for the shifting prongs that extend down the lever broke off, so now that prong pops back a bit as you shift. The result is that the shifting still works, but there's now a little more slop in the system when you downshift bit also added an extra click as the prong pops back, so it's like downshifting on SRAM now with the noise. I'm not sure what to do, as I don't know that it's broken enough for a warranty claim, if I'm even eligible for it to begin with, but it's really not something that should break, either. Everything about this groupset has been great except the levers, which have been annoying me for a couple solid years, but upgrading isn't really in the cards. Oh well, one more crit tomorrow and then this bike goes on sabbatical for a while as I get into CX training, so I've got time to think about it.