Old 06-30-14, 02:26 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I’m going to make the same suggestion that Ryan made. Do a simple frame with regular parts 1[SUP]st[/SUP] to figure out a system and get some practice. Your chances of screwing it up on a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] try are pretty high. You will learn a lot and be better prepared when using the good stuff. I’m very familiar with how average people do in the beginning even with clear instructions and demonstrations. Many struggle. It is easy to get frustrated and quit when things start to go south and it is not obvious what is wrong. In every class I teach I’m always impressed how easy it is for a student to get off track without constant supervision and wonder what would happen if they were on their own.

There is nothing wrong with 1010A dropouts except they were made for an age when one started the season using a fixed gear (and needed the long slot to tighten the chain) and switched to gears after getting some miles in their legs. After WWII guys didn’t have money for multiple bicycles so whatever they rode had to meet all needs. Somewhere in the mid to late 70’s Campy came out with a much shorter 1010B version. Aero tubing isn’t going to be used on a multi use bicycle so those old 1010A seem a bit out of place. However a great advantage of making something yourself is that you can do it any way you please.

I’m also going to suggest that you stay away from internal routing – which requires more than beginner skills – on a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] frame.
Likes For Doug Fattic: