View Single Post
Old 06-30-14, 06:48 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Tour de Central Pike 2014

Yesterday I went out on a little something I like to call "Tour de Central Pike." This is one of my favorite rural roads in central RI. I often incorporate sections of this road into my rides, but today I went from almost the very beginning to almost the very end. (I didn't start at the beginning because it's in the 'hood in Providence and I didn't do the last two dirt miles because of wife imposed time constraints).

The ride was 47 miles on a beautiful 85 degree, sunny day. I started in Johnston and rode through Scituate and Foster RI. Here's a pictoral montage of my ride.

A little background gleaned from some local historical annuals:

The Foster and Scituate Central Turnpike

The turnpike was built between 1814-1824, by a private corporation, between Providence and the Connecticut line. It was named the central turnpike because it laid between the Plainfield pike (rt. 14) to the south and the Danielson Pike (rt. 6) to the north. It was said to be a favorite of cattle drivers from Ct. to bring their livestock to Providence. The road fell into disrepair by 1842, and the corporation’s charter lapsed. A local resident in Foster, near the western extremity, built a chicken coup across the road in the late 19th century halting easy progress. As a result the road became impassable from this point. (RIPC Foster 1982).

The Scituate Reservoir has covered part of the Central Pike since the mid 1920s, so I had to circumnavigate that part for a few miles and pick the road up on the other side. The road stretches for about 17 miles across RI before it abruptly ends at the state line on Cucumber Hill rd in western Foster. This road has some challenging climbs; short and steep!

Swamp Meadow Covered bridge was built in 1994 using traditional building techniques. It was burnt down by youthful arsonists soon after it was built, but was rebuilt again funded by local contributors.

I saw exactly one other cyclist on this ride; probably 50 motorcyclists.