spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
My general thoughts (ATMO)

One of the best groups that Shimano ever made - 7800.
I believe that 9000 mechanical is possibly even better...time will tell.
Di2 - is the best style of group in the world for enthusiasts. I keep running into a lot of racers who do not like it and have switched back to cable systems. As a mechanic - I don't care - either is easy to work on, but I always have extra cables in my tool box - not extra wires

SRAM - High caliber stuff at low/reasonable (wholesale) prices. If I am building a bike I don't even think - it will have SRAM on it. Shimano is too pricey on the wholesale side and they just moved everything back in house distribution wise. I can call 5 places and have SRAM parts the next day.
Just about everyone we race with or around has SRAM. Easy for parts and fixing/swapping when needed.
SRAM support at events is the best.

Campagnolo - IMHO - the best absolute mechanical systems available. Really well done all around and great stuff to have in your hands.
Not practical for me or any of my uses. Every year I have 1 or 2 racers on Campy and it's always a huge PITA. I can call the same 5 places and get parts, but stock and prices are prohibitive.
I have watched the local racing community slowly go from about 20-30% Campy before SRAM came out to road to being roughly 1-3% now.
I still get a steady stream of Campy orders but they are small in number.
if campy are such quality groupsets, why aren't they in higher demand? it sounds to me like their main bottleneck is lack of supply, and therefore high prices. but if they fix that, couldn't campy be a legitimate competitor to sram/shimano?