View Single Post
Old 07-02-14, 03:40 PM
Roopull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
What do you consider appropriate for a beginner, a child's bike with training wheels? There are different levels of beginner. My interpretation of this thread is OP has never owned a drop bar road bike. You seem to be acting like he's never ridden a bike before...
You do realize that the bit you quoted isn't in reference to the OP, right?

RE the OP, my objection to the bikes he listed is that they're carbon fiber, pricier than what he NEEDS and at least one of them has aggressive geometry (forgive me for not going back to page 1 & confirming all that.) Since carbon is expensive and difficult to repair (if not actually impossible,) I feel it's a horrible material for a beginner's bike.

I think a beginner would be best on aluminum or steel with a more relaxed geometry... preferably a cheaper bike.
I think the bike should be a cheaper bike because - as a beginner - they really won't know what kind of riding they'll actually enjoy. Will they turn out to be a sprinter? A long haul touring type? A commuter? A relaxed cruiser? An all out racer? Even if you're loaded with more money than you know what to do with, buying an expensive bike to start out with is kinda silly, especially since almost everyone will agree that with the diminishing returns on cycling investment, he won't reap the benefits of "better" more expensive bikes til he's been riding a while.

The trend I'm seeing in responses to that is people with tons of posts get defensive & act like I called their mamma fat when anyone suggests a bike is too expensive.

The long-term members who are getting offended use the term "jealous" quite a bit. So, I'll throw in this caveat... if the guy want's to spend two grand on a bike, I think that, instead of the carbon fiber ones he has been steered towards, he'd be better served by something like a Bianchi Vigorelli. It's light, sturdy and versatile.

But, you know... I'd steer him towards the Lupo at about half the price.