Old 07-02-14, 05:15 PM
Roopull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's simulated with "+1".

But how can a person know in fact, that a race bike is not the proper bike for a given person? Even out of shape and over weight, maybe his plan is to get in race-shape. Or maybe it's $5000 worth of motivation for him. Who knows?
Well, that's why I would tend to believe that a less expensive bike and a bike that is a good "all arounder" would be a better selection. Maybe a racing bike is the right choice. If it is, he'd be satisfied with a good all arounder for a while. But, if what he needs is a flat bar hybrid with a big fat cushy saddle, a racing bike will just frustrate him. But, the all arounder would work.

I guess I just think that a multi-tool is better if you don't know what kind of tool you're going to need rather than going off & buying a hammer & hoping you find some nails.

Then again, your motivation comment is valid. I know a guy who did just that... In my humble little opinion, he got a horrible bike for him. It's a very very nice triathlon bike that he can barely ride, but whatever. He says the purchase - spending that wad of cash - is his self motivation for actually riding. He says he knew he wouldn't be able to stand the thought of spending all that money on a bike & never riding it.

Whatever works, I suppose. Last I heard, it does seem to be working. He made it up to a 20 mile ride. If he sticks with it, he'll be able to ride it just fine & justify the purchase to himself - the only person that really matters anyway.