View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 01:10 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello everyone. I know the IGH crowd isn't big here and mostly into old Sturmeys but I ran into an issue with my IGH this morning. I have not been riding in some time I bet this poor bike has been hanging for over 2 years. I cleaned it up yesterday checked the shifting and brakes and everything seemed OK. I took it out this morning and when shifting through the gears ( Jtek barend) the 5 or 6th gear didn't seem to want to catch. All the other gears felt fine this one just felt like when your chain runs 'between' the cogs on the FW. I didn't go more than a few blocks trying to shift then back pedal a little then shift to that gear again but to no avail. When I was rolling up to my flat the gear seemed to be catching but in a lower gear than the next one down.

Any Ideas? I am hoping that it is just a little gummed up from sitting. I doubt there is more than two hundred miles on the hub. Oh it is a 'Red Stripe' (Yeah Beer!!) if that makes a difference. I will repost this on the Yahoo IGH group tomorrow I just wanted to post here before I get back into the 100 email day trap over there.

Thanks!!

What do you have in the way of cable adjustment. I know the J-Tek does not have a barrel adjuster. Did you put an inline adjuster in it? (I'm assuming you did the build?)
Binding cables or maladjustment are most frequently the culprit. I'm sure you know all about aligning the marks at the cassette joint in 4th gear and all that.