View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 01:42 PM
Roopull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
OP test rode all these bikes at LBS. He spent over $2000 on the Synapse. Do you really think the LBS didn't fit him for the bike? I've been riding rode for 3 years, and bikes in general for 30 years and never crashed. You can't say it's inevitable that someone is going to crash their bike.

Spending $2000 I think it is much less likely they will want to upgrade components after a year. If you buy a cheap bike like the Wellington which weighs about 25 lbs and has Sora or Claris than you will want to upgrade quickly. The whole point of spending money up front on a nicer bike is you wont' feel the need to upgrade
I'm not doubting you or calling that no-crash status into question, but you must be a much more cautious rider than myself or most anyone I've ever ridden with! Being more cautious than me isn't saying much... I still ride with the enthusiasm of a little kid.

As for the weight of the Wellington... with aerobars, a lock, bottle racks, frame bag, lights etc on it, mine is 25 lbs... and it's a larger frame. It's an older Wellington, though. The new ones they're selling have crap components & a lower price.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about buying a "nicer" bike up front. A purchaser just needs to consider their confidence in whether that's the style of cycling they're going to be wanting to do.