View Single Post
Old 07-05-14, 04:31 PM
DBrim

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Took advantage of the amazing weather today to do a bit of a drive/ride. I drove out to Groton, MA and rode the length of the Nashua River Rail Trail.

I parked in Groton and rode north. Here is a good representation of what the trail looked like between Groton and Pepperell:

As I approached Pepperell from the south, I started hearing a lot of sirens. I figured something was very wrong. This is what greeted me entering the town:

A parade! I took a rest and watched it for a bit. For some reason the police department has an armored school bus and was showing that off. After a break in the parade let me cross the street, I continued northward, eventually crossing the NH state line. Even though I drove to within eight miles to do it, I thought it was cool to cross the state line on my bike for the first time. Here's a portrait:

I probably should have left the U lock at home and replaced it with another water bottle. For whatever reason I have "lock anxiety"; what if I need it and don't have it? It's hard for me to leave it at home, despite the weight. I really could use the extra water capacity though. I've been struggling with that for a while. Also of note, the lack of a tail light on the saddle bag. If you found one on the trail between Groton and the NH line, it's mine. I just got it, so hopefully the manufacturer can be convinced that it was their fault that the bracket let go.

I turned around at the northern end of the trail (after following a gravel continuation for the 1/4 mile or so it travels), then headed south, back into Massachusetts. An entrepreneurial home-owner bordering the trail has set up a vending machine in his back yard:

The refill of cold water was very much appreciated and help me press onward. I passed the area where I was parked at a bit more than 18 miles, but decided I wanted to crack 20 miles so I continued southwards towards Ayer. There's some pretty scenery near the southern end of the trail:

I crossed 20 miles, and realized that Ayer was only a couple more miles down the trail, so I decided to finish off the whole thing. And what was waiting for me at the southern end of the trail?

Yep, the same clowns from before. I'm impressed that they walked all the way down there! After being disappointed by a stand advertising food and water for cyclists being empty, I continued back north to Groton. Overall, I rode 25.89 miles, well beyond my previous maximum of 12.5. The trail is pretty flat, so only 700 feet gain in that ride, but more than enough for me at this point.

Last edited by DBrim; 07-05-14 at 07:44 PM.