View Single Post
Old 07-06-14, 03:03 AM
dave42

Bikes: 1989 TREK 400, Suntour accushift drivetrain. 80's Raleigh mtb all Suntour.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skycyclepilot
This one is going to be hard to explain, but here goes... Adjusting the front derailleur, Shimano 105... If I follow the Shimano instructions, I get weird trim results. First, I disconnect the cable, and set the lower limit for 0.5mm clearance against the inner guide. Next, I reconnect the cable, just barely pulling out the slack. If I do this, the chain throws over the large gear when I shift up. I can stop that with the top/high limit screw, but that makes shifting into high really hard, and I lose trim altogether - classic "cable too tight" symptom.

I can loosen the cable and get trim back, but then I have to move the lever when shifting into high until I hear THREE clicks, or I don't get trim! What am I doing wrong???
Howdy, skycyclepilot. When you do the set the .5 mm, do you have the rear on the largest cog(lowest/easiest gear)?

If not, I bet your low limit isn't quite low enough.

That would advance things too far as you describe.

After you set the low limit and hook up your cable, you'd want to then shift to the big ring/small cog(highest gear). Make sure nothing rubs there.

Then set your high limit screw.

Last edited by dave42; 07-06-14 at 03:09 AM. Reason: clarity