View Single Post
Old 07-06-14, 11:23 AM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My personal experience is that I perform better and recover faster from intense rides with recovery-type refueling right after the ride, and with sport gels during the ride.
By "intense" I mean rides where my heart rate is in Z4 and Z5 for a significant portion of the ride (an hour in these zones); or on rides over 3 hours. I do not ride much in Z1 or Z2.

The calories have to be figured into the daily total, but this way they go into refueling the muscles with sugar not into replenishing fat stores. The protein helps avoid desire for a post-ride nap, as does some caffeine.
For evening rides, post-ride is dinner as soon as I get home, with a little larger portion of protein and carbs.
For rides earlier in the day, I will often stop on my way home at a convenience store and get a Monster Coffee Energy Shake drink, Java Monster/Starbucks coffee energy drink or a light Chocolate Muscle Milk (chalky taste) if I don't want the caffeine. These are about 100-250 calories and digest easy when I have no appetite.
During rides I carry a 5-serving flask of Hammer gel that I call "Hill Helper". It doesn't cause the intestinal cramping I get from most sports drinks, easy to consume in desired quantities, does not require refridgeration, and gives a quick energy boost. I will have 100-150 kcals during an intense 75 minute ride or none on a 120 minute easy ride.

I am not in OP's weight class but assume he has these objectives:
Improve health, fitness, and happiness
Lose a large amount of fat
Build muscle strength and endurance (including the muscles cycling doesn't use)
Increase daily basic metabolic rate
Be able to participate in group rides for motivation, pleasure, support and social aspects
Improve cycling abilities
Maintain healthy relationship toward food and exercise
Have a sense of accomplishment meeting health and exercise goals
Have enough energy to enjoy daily life-beyond-the-bike activities

Last edited by nkfrench; 07-06-14 at 11:31 AM.