Old 07-06-14, 07:17 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
We managed 36 miles on the tandem today. Our band closed out a festival in Connecticut last night so we had a late night, collectively getting less than 10 hours sleep! So we took it easy. Did some of our usual roads, Bedford to Chelmsford. Turned around at the Traveling Rhino

On the way back the bike didn't want to go into the big chainring. A quick check showed that the front derailleur cable was coming apart at the lever. I didn't want it to break completely lest it jump to the small ring and stay there until I adjusted the stop screw. So I avoided shifting the front, spun out the middle ring/small cog combination a few times, had to hoof our way up a few hills. But we made it back without too much trouble.

When we got back to Bedford another cyclist said "We've seen you three times today, once on the Bruce Freeman, once at Fern's, and now here. How do you manage to get everywhere ahead of us?" I should have told him we just know the shortcuts.

Ever replaced a cable on a tandem? It's a lot of work!
JimM, totally awesome ride and report. That Rhino photo is more than awesome. You and the rooster look impatient waiting outside. I dig the lat and long behind the butterfly. If I'd been sleep deprived and ridden without full gear range and on the floor, I'd take a lot longer.

After two days off I decided today was so nice I'd do good ole Weston Observatory-Carlisle-Water Row MCentury. Lot's of folks on the road including antsy cyclists and cars at the Walden Rt126/Rt 2 intersection. I decided to ride through Carlisle and take a snack break down the road a piece. Down the road kept being down the road a bit more. First top was water refill back in Concord Ctr. and finally stopped at mile 45 at the Haynes Garrison on Water Row in Sudbury. No broken cable or Bedford ice cream but getting off the saddle and a handful of raisins were over due. I did get a chance to read more about King Philips War and how so many of the garrisons were effective against attack.

I didn't attack any part of the ride; just a steady, mild effort including Sanderson Hill in Weston and Monument St after Fenn School in Concord. Both hills normally nag for a little attention but in this pleasant weather just glided by almost unnoticed.