View Single Post
Old 07-07-14, 10:25 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
JimM, totally awesome ride and report....If I'd been sleep deprived and ridden without full gear range and on the floor, I'd take a lot longer...
After two days off I decided today was so nice I'd do good ole Weston Observatory-Carlisle-Water Row MCentury. Lot's of folks on the road including antsy cyclists and cars at the Walden Rt126/Rt 2 intersection... and finally stopped at mile 45 at the Haynes Garrison on Water Row in Sudbury.
It is easy for a little more to become recursive, izn't? We've had a few nice picnics at the Haynes Garrison. Water Row is one of my favorite roads. I just wish it were longer. Much longer.

We too saw lots of bikes yesterday, and many of the riders seemed antsy, more antsy than the car drivers. I wonder why that was. Perhaps they felt a need to get the ridin' done before the beautiful day disappeared. Or before it got too late to fire up the grill back home.

Originally Posted by Bishbike
Priceless!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Montrose
Hey Jim,
I drove past you at the 225/62 intersection in Bedford this afternoon...She said, "the WHAT?". I had some explaining to do...
Anyway, always fun to read about your rides!
Uh-oh. I mean, thanks, guys! Montrose, would that have been mansplaining? (A reference to a recent thread in C&V.)

Sometimes you don't remember all the nice details of a good ride until later. Like the cyclist who pulled up beside us as we were heading south from Carlisle on Concord Rd and asked "Are you guys touring?" I said "No, we're just carrying a picnic!" He just laughed, took off and left us in his wake. We always run with the big red panniers loaded with water bottles and, yes, lunch.

I wanted to work our way around northward to Heart Pond but wasn't sure how I wanted to get there, maybe run South St before cutting west. Sharon always wants more distance so I was contemplating the long way around but not wanting to climb the Attack Duck hill. Then we saw a nice quiet little road on the right named Cross St. I'd noticed it before, never followed it. As I made the turn I told Sharon "I wonder where this goes", having the left the GPS in the car figuring we wouldn't need it. She said "Let's find out." Well, back around to 225 of course after passing the western end of Bingham. Then west on 225, downhill too until we zipped right by Curve St on the right. I should have turned there. Instead we kept going until the big uphill loomed, the one which TopoNAm says hits a 10% grade near the top, the one I was hoping we'd miss by taking Cross. That's when I discovered that the frayed cable didn't want to release to the granny ring any more than it wanted to tug onto the big ring. We survived anyway.

It was a day of good dappling. Everything was dappled.