View Single Post
Old 07-09-14, 07:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Rather than creating more laws how about just making the devices inactive while moving unless on hands free.
What about those on a bus or train? Or even passengers in a car?

Make all the laws you want, or apply technical fixes like this but it won't change anything. Cell phones are the latest issue and it's trendy to blame them for everything, but there has always been distracted driving. Things like trying to read a map, eating/drinking (coffee/soda), children/pets, tuning the radio/adjusting the a/c, applying makeup, daydreaming, even reading the morning paper propped up on the steering wheel.

If I had to name the single biggest problem, I'd say it's that we've socialized the cost of driving stupidity (or lack of skill) through insurance. Folks are nearly 100% insulated from the harm they cause. IMO the way to get drivers to be more responsible isn't through technology or criminalization, but by making them more exposed financially. Things like higher minimum deductibles, and/or co-insurance for liability (up to a limit) would lower driving costs for responsible drivers and put more of the cost of poor driving back on those who are the problem. I'm not saying it would magically solve the problem, but it would be a step in the right direction.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.