View Single Post
Old 07-10-14, 08:11 AM
Taiko

Bikes: Orbea Orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If been following these thread as I am interested in racing next year and I a couple of question for you more experience racers.

Some folks on this thread have said, "I agree that the 5's aren't (or shouldn't be) about winning." and "Exactly, Cat 5's have no idea what they're doing."

Firstly, if racing isn't about winning then what's it about? By its very definition, you are engaging in a race to cover a set distance in the shortest amount of time. Why would anyone want to get involved in any sport where they knew they had ZERO chances of winning? If I understand many points made here correctly; I'm expected to risk injury and damage to property so that someone else can win? So, what's the point of me taking those risk for someone else's pleasure? If Cat 5s were allowed to race each other and not be forced into faster speeds trying to keep up with the 4s it may be a safer proposition for everyone involved. However, from what i have seen, Cat 5s tend to take risk, that I assume they normally wouldn't, just to stay in a race that they can't win. By removing the 4s from that equation you most likely will reduce the speeds and the risk taken by novice riders. (Just a thought)

Secondly, to say that Cat 5s don't know what they are doing is just a generalization that does nothing for the sport. To say that they are less knowledgable and less experience is more accurate. Back to what I said earlier, why would anyone want to get into a sport that is not welcoming and set up to be a fair? I can understand paying your dues while you learn, but at what cost? You can probably learn more by racing with racers with similar skill levels than you will trying to run down someone you have no chance of catching. I may as well call up Wile E Coyote and get the number to ACME so I can buy a bike from them cause I know I'm going to have the same result.

I hope the more experienced racer here don't take offense to my post (I bet some will) as I am only trying to understand if this is really something I wish to pursue. I love to compete, maybe it's the Marine in me. However, at this stage of my life (45), I'm not looking to harm myself, someone else nor wreck an expensive bike. I believe that many good points have been made here, from mandatory team/club/group rides to safety glasses, but unfortunately these suggestion may not make it to organizers or governing bodies. I would like to race next year and so far I'm learning towards it, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time and risk injury or damage to an expensive bike by competing in something that I am set up to lose from the beginning. Sorry, that just doesn't make much sense to me.