View Single Post
Old 07-10-14, 11:27 AM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egranlund
Wow, just realized I didn't address your question.

Upsides besides battery life and turn by turn?

Not too many, altitude is more accurate and it records temperature during your ride (woo!). You can also set alerts for cadence, heart rate, distance, etc. to remind yourself to either keep your cadence up or your heart rate reasonable. But depending on the app you're using you may already be getting this.

Also, If you're using the Strava app, it ignores the speed input of the Blue SC and is using GPS speed instead which is also less accurate.

Besides that, if you're happy with what you got, you're not missing much
Good to know about the Strava app and speed. I have mostly been using the RFLKT+ with the Wahoo app (but may try Cyclometer), which does use the speed sensor as well as GPS. The RFLKT+ has built in sensors for altitude and temp, give it an advantage over the standard RFLKT.

I actually debated between the RFLKT+ and a lower end Garmin (500 or maybe 510). Was buying a new bike and other stuff so couldn't spring the cost for the 800/810 for NAV (at least without also getting an angry wife).

Alerts sound nice, but may be a way to get them and not worth the extra $ to me right now. Eventually I may go for something with TbT Nav but for now I think I am good with my current setup.

As for waterproofing, the RFLKT+ is waterproof and my phone can easily go in a waterproof bag.

I do think battery life could become an issue for longer rides, making a dedicated option attractive longer term as well.