View Single Post
Old 07-10-14, 06:25 PM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I can't stress enough how important a mirror is for riding in traffic. Your incident is a classic case of why a mirror his helpful; you would have had a better idea of what was behind you before the engine started revving, and could have pro-actively chosen the best course of action for the situation. As someone else said, you could have faded right a bit to give yourself more room; if that wasn't feasible another thing I've done is simply use the hand signal for slow/stop (and to catch extra attention, open and close fingers kind of like flashing. It's funny how even with an aggressive driver, signaling to indicate you realize they're back there will usually make them back off. The other thing is that once I've made enough room for them to pass safely I wave them around and they usually appreciate that you know you're there and you've given them the all clear to go around.

As far as mirror recommendations go, I prefer a helmet mounted mirror.
I was hand signaling, and for a long time. I do tend to try to let drives pass when safe. In this case the driver was changing lanes and not paying attention to me on the bike in front of him in the process. I think a mirror would have alerted me to this situation sooner (I would have seen the quickly approaching pickup before I heard it) however it wouldn't have changed much besides maybe giving me a few seconds to potentially move back right further from him.

This may have convinced me to try a mirror though, something I have never really seen the need for before. My only fear with a mirror is I will then be to focused on the mirror more than the road ahead