Old 07-11-14, 04:02 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Statistically the most influential factors appear to be picking the right parents and being relatively rich. These trump even smoking and obesity, though that might change if we keep on getting fatter at the present rate.

The specifics of one's diet almost certainly matter less than the faddists would claim. The Inuit managed very well without green vegetables, for example, though they don't (or didn't used to) overdo the carbs or heavily processed stuff. The body is pretty good at synthesising what it needs from a variety of foodstuffs.

Personally I try to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, take a lot of exercise and let the rest take care of itself. The last time I had any bloods done - four years ago, when I was 55 - the results were described as "pristine". This may mean that drinking too much alcohol does one no harm, or it may mean that I'm just lucky. My money's on the latter.
I always thought wine and beer were one of the basic "food groups".