Old 07-11-14, 04:58 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I'll be in Las Vegas for a conference on July 7, 8, and 9 and would like to take a road bike ride on Sunday afternoon and after the conference lets out on Monday and Tuesday. Can anyone suggest a web site with rides of about two-hours or 25-30 miles? I can probably fit in a 50-miler or metric century on Sunday....
Sorry to be so late to the party- you've already been here a couple of days. Not sure if you got out, at least it seems that the thunderstorm/flash flood watches are taking a break.

I am not familiar with the bike shop you mentioned, but as a newbie, not to the area but to cycling, that doesn't mean much. I would suggest phoning them before anything- there are many more shops on that list. Not all will be open on Sunday, and those that are will close early. If you chose to go out to Red Rock Canyon from the south end (that whole area is very popular with road and mountain bikers both) I think you'll enjoy it. Beware the heat for sure, and being from the high desert yourself, you know shade will be rare. A nice stop would be at the village of Blue Diamond to cool off though. There will be shade and top you can top off your water bottles. There is a bike shop there, I think it's open until 3? on Sundays. https://maps.google.com/local?f=d&hl...nd+NV+89004+US. I used Google's bike option, but the Blue Diamond/Red Rock Canyon Rd is Rt. 159.

There is a small stop further on just before you get to the scenic loop entrance, it's almost at the highest point of the 159. No water, some shade and the icky campground toilets. You'll know it by the wind sock. The Scenic Loop itself is open from 6am-8pm, visitor center 8-430. It is a $3 fee for a bike, but if you have National Parks Pass, that is accepted. There is a public facility open 6am-8pm in the parking area just below the visitor center with a water fountain, modern restrooms, and vending machines. Oddly enough, I never looked closely at the machines, but being what the area is about, I'm sure ( I hope) they have more than sodas. The loop itself is beautiful and challenging, with 1000 feet altitude gain in the first 4.5 miles. After that, it is fast downhills- but beware of tight turns and rough pavements on them -and rabbits, lizards and ground squirrels crossing your path. There are a few more climbs on the way, but they are mercifully short.

Two more links- I don't know where you are staying, but I used the Silverton as a landmark. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Silv...36.1623226!3e1.

Cycling Routes & Maps of Las Vegas and Bicycle Riders | Biking Las Vegas Cyclists | Biking Las Vegas Cycling

Hope you get to see this before you get home-sorry to be so late!

Last edited by decosse; 07-11-14 at 05:05 PM.