View Single Post
Old 10-17-05, 01:44 PM
mooklekloon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Subw00er
ya isnt that weird?! How hard is it to remove the wire from the shifters so i can swap sides at the top of the downtube? Do any sirrus owners have their wires non-crossed? Why would they do this?
This is the wierdest thing ever... I just got a Sirrus Elite the other day and the cable clamp on the FD was lose and so the cable slacked out and it stopped shifting after about 2 miles. When I went to go tighten it up, I noticed the cables where crossed! I have no idea why they do this. I was angry because this was a new bike and thought the LBS had messed up after I spent (for me) a lot of money. Makes me feel better to know this is a known "issue". Anyways, I swaped them so they aren't crossed anymore. Its a very easy procedure.

1. Snip cable ends off
2. Pull cables out of derailleur clamp bolts (out of 2nd housing for RD) and out of BB guides
3. Swap the cable stops they rest in
4. Re-route cables under BB (and through 2nd housing for RD)
5. Re-attached cables to derailleaurs (this took me a while to ge the appropriate initial tension)
6. Adjust derailleurs.

This is a really rough explanation, PM me if you want the details.

I didn't spend too much time getting the derailleurs perfect cause its a new bike and the cables will slack in a few weeks anyways. I'll get the LBS to do a full derailleur job when I take it back in a few weeks for the initial tune-up.