View Single Post
Old 07-17-14, 04:41 PM
VeryNot

Bikes: My gateway bikes: '83 Miyata 100 mixte and '89 Miyata 112. Newest addition '81 chrome Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! It's such a great bike and I'm thrilled to have found it.

My dream bag is the Acorn Boxy Rando, but they are of course difficult to obtain. Since I need a bag right away, I managed to find some Zimbale bags on ebay and bought a small front rack trunk and small saddle bag -- both are olive canvas duck with orangey-red leather straps and accents. Nice and traditional looking, but also very functional for my needs.

I just can't say enough good things about John. Not only is he a master at restoration, but, like you said, he seems equally concerned about the machanicals. And when I first approached him to build up a French-style touring bike, he was able to help focus what I was looking for in a bike and completely deliver on it. When he first suggested a more upright ride with swept back bars, I was at first resistant, because I wanted a "serious" bike for distances, not something that was just cute. But given my hand/wrist issues and short torso, and inability to ever get comfortable on drop bars, what he suggested made a lot of sense. He sent me photos of bikes to show me what he was thinking of, and finally, I agreed with him. What he's delivered is exactly what I wanted: something not only aesthetically beautiful, but also absolutely functional for my needs. And I know when I take possession of it tomorrow, it's going to ride as beautifully as it looks.

And to top it all off, his prices are so reasonable! I wish I knew more people who were into C&V bikes that I could send to him! Though he doesn't seem to lack for work. =)

Another view, photo again by John:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (103.4 KB, 1912 views)