Old 07-18-14, 06:56 AM
ingenuitor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pivotalrex
Hi, new to the site. Getting back into cycling after 25 yrs. (My last bike was a Ross Mt. Washington!) I am looking into doing some fitness riding but mixed with recreational. I plan to have a child seat attached to take my son on rides.

I'm 6' 240 lbs, not a small guy, I've narrowed it down to:
Cannondale Quick 4
Trek Verve 3
Trek Shift 3

The only bike I haven't tried would be the Trek FX series. I know the above Trek are similar with the major exception being the tire size/width. Cannondale is more of a standard ride. I tried the Adventure but can't adjust to the twist type shifter. I've been told by a few people to avoid a front shock since it will be either too soft or too cheap at this price point but I would like to get some opinions from you guys.

Appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.
With the bikes you picked so far, I would choose the Cannondale Quick 4 hands down, 2013 model can really save you if you don't mind setting it up yourself, here Cannondale Quick CX 4 2013 - Suburban Ski and Bike, The Cannondale seems to have a better line up of components on the overall setup being provided. I think at the end of the day, it's about components and thus that's what I personally look for, something that will be a solid performer and breakdown less over time.

You can find a ton of bikes out here in many brands setup with a good balance of components, it's then up to you what you like the best / fits your the best, like the looks and comfort of. Personally I like the shock and the idea that it can be locked out and set for street is great as well. Most shock fork bikes have this feature it seems, some better than others, some even have shock adjustments, or hand bar lockouts. It really depends on your intended use as well.

Read this...

My current bike is a Cannondale Killer v 500 and I'm now after 20 years upgrading to a Trek 8.6. If not for the jump in components, sizing, comfort and styling, better brakes, shifters, tires and the whole package, I wouldn't do it at all. I'm going from a Handmade USA bike to a now made in China bike, seems backwards. Todays USA handmade mikes costs thousands and I'm not willing to do that either.

Always shop the MSRP, I have been able to save hundreds in some cases with my shopping, I shopped some 20+ LBS and some are over the MSRP, crazy crack dealers they are and some will be fair and want to earn your business. It never hurts to ask. Trek has a deal right now if you spend $399-$999 you get $50, $1000 you get $100 towards accessories or $2000 and get $200 back. I'm not sure what your budget is. But have you tried a Giant Roam 1 2015 model yet?

Best of luck.