View Single Post
Old 07-18-14, 08:01 AM
MrCoffee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Beic
Nothing wrong with mid entry Raleighs, they got lots of people on their bikes over here in the 70's and 80's.

OK so some may not have the best tubing (I find it ok), 18-23,mass produced, but they last, the tubing is not super thin and they are easily and relatively cheaply upgraded if you want.

Just make sure you keep the Weinmann side pulls adjusted.

Cheap to buy if you look in the right places, however some of the entry models, even over here, have had their prices hiked up on ebay and the current craze for retro fixies hasn't helped, lets hope that fad goes away.

I like (and own) mid range Raleighs from the 70's and 80's a lot

Beic
Well, you're right. There's one on EBay that's at $200.00. One mechanic told me that mine could fetch up to $300.00 if I sold mine, and to keep a GOOD eye on it because it's a thief magnet. I took it on a gravel road last night for the last time. The dirt and rocks gave it too much of a pounding, in my opinion. So I'll soon be getting a "cheap" Specialized standard Crosstrail with V-brakes for the daily driving and potholes. And you're right about the side-pulls and their adjustments. It took me a couple days to get that down.